Monday 7 October 2013

Drawing Workshop - Large scale repeat drawings

Drawing Workshop - Large scale repeat drawings

In this workshop, we brought in everyday objects in which we used different drawings materials to draw large scale drawings under timed conditions. this is going to be a starting point for the creation of our 2.5m lengths of fabric based on repeat structures.

the workshop was very fast paced, but I think we achieved a great deal in a short amount of time. When we first began this workshop, I found it quite difficult to deal with the time restraints of the quick drawing style. I was spending too much of my time worrying about drawing and the composition of the objects, that I did not have much time to ACTUALLY draw them! This was something which I found quite hard to overcome. however, I found that using the drawing technique of continuous line meant that my drawings, although not perfect, tended to mimic the shape of the object better.

Because of these short time restraints, I missed out on a lot of the detail, even when drawing in continuous line. This was vital for the next stage of the task where we began filling in and adding texture in the gaps between objects. Lack of detail meant there were huge empty spaces to fill. To overcome this, I began drawing from the inside of the object outwards. although this meant that sometimes I did not get the outline of the shape, it meant i had the initial detail needed.

These ideas did help me in the way I worked, but I feel I still need to be a lot more free in the way I work. This way I can be a lot more experimental in the designs and drawing I can create. I think that if I adapt and more freer approach, I will be able to create repeat designs which will flow easier and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment