Friday 14 November 2014

Ba7..... Individual reflection

Organising and sorting.

Following our workshop based upon our time planning work last week, I have been focused on this idea of not wanting to limit myself too much, but knowing myself how much I can actually complete in the time that we have left of this project. 

Today I have been looking through my sketchbook, and again I think I need to have a good organisation and sort out. It seems to work well for me to have one or two of these sessions a week, just for me to see where I am and where I want to go. I focus my ideas and decide on what I want to do in my time. From here I do the work, lots of ideas pop into my head and I complete a few, but then again I sit down again and sort out what I need to get done in order to make sure I stick to a developmental process which is beneficial to me and my work as a whole. 

Unlike other sessions, I have decided to try to complete this narrowing down of ideas on my own, without the help of one of my tutors through a tutorial. I want to prove to  myself that I can do it, when I leave uni I will have no one to do it for me. 

So, I sat down, looking through my sketchbook at what I had created so far and began thinking about what my next steps were. Here's what I came up with.....

- I have a session booked in the print room tomorrow, and I have things planned for that, so I am going to stick to that, however following this, unless I create something amazing, I want to take a step away from the print. I think that my constructed samples have been more successful and I am currently not having the time to sit down and further develop simplistic prints, so I do not want to give myself more work on that front.

- as I have now decided that after tomorrow I want to stop printing, for now, I need to develop a whole load more samples out of my sketchbook. I have been getting there but as we are moving ever closer to the deadline, I want to enter the last week with a clear idea of what I am completing for the Friday. So, I need to create lots more samples, experimenting with materials more, starting to move away from string, using ideas from my wire sample yesterday to push my work forward. This may mean that my  work will take a more sculptural style towards hand in,but as I aim to carry this work on into the next project, BA8, I can adapt it then, perhaps thinking about the idea of making it more accessible to consumers, rather than galleries and such.

- I think it is probably best if I decide to focus my technique even further. As much as I am enjoying looking into all the different types of knots and knotting, developing them is quite a laborious process and I just don't have time to do everything. I want think more about other knot styles in the next project, but. For now I will narrow down my technique to netting. It is not that I do not find any of the other techniques interesting or that I can't see them developing, at this stage I can see myself getting more done and creating a more in depth development if I focus on netting for the time being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment