Monday 17 November 2014

Ba7....... print room work

I had my session booked in the print room today and was very surprised at how quickly it was to create everything I had wanted to. It just goes to show that when you go into the print room with an idea of what you want to do, you can get a lot more done!

For the first part of the morning, I was experimenting with printing using cotton and my new favorite hessian fabric. I had made a net, which I wanted to see if I could use as a kind of printing block, to print the netted design. This however was not too successful because the net soaked up a lot of the dye. Instead, I decided to print through the holes of the net, leaving the original colour of the fabric where the net had been. This did work better and made the White net turn a vibrant blue colour!

As I had time to play around a little I used spatulas to experiment with a mark making design, which mimicked the netted pattern. I liked the block colours of this and although they worked well, I think my work is a little beyond that stage now; it was a little too simple. I aim to stitch back into the samples to improve their intricacy and show a development of ideas. These hand print, mark making techniques relate directly to my research report based upon the preservation of craft. Hand made technique and the preservation of it is important, but a way of developing it, improving it and making it more current is vital to the preservation of the craft industry.

Following my time on the print table, I had my booked time in the dye kitchen. For this part of the day I was again well prepared, bring with me some netted samples that I had intended to dye to experiment with the colour , moving away from the traditional natural colours of the jute. I also had a ball of string and ball of wool to dye, to test whether dye the string before or after knotting it had any effect of the end design.

I create two dye pots of green and yellow. I chose these colours because they rate to my colour scheme for the project, but push my own boundaries in colour usage. I tend to stick to the same colours all the time, red and blue, I wanted to push myself a little and I like the way both of the colours worked together and how they worked for the samples. I also chose the shades of the colours, because they are pushed the boundaries of the natural colour scheme, but not too far, not too way out there and synthetic looking. That was not what I wanted to achieve. 

These samples too worked well, but again I think they could do with working into them a little to add another element of development and experimentation rather than just the use of colour which is to be honest a little boring now.

Again I had time when I finished so I thought about how I could potentially develop these ideas and something one of my tutors had previously said popped into my head. She suggested that my knotting and netting was very similar to weaving and knitting that the process and feel of the finished samples were visually similar. I thought about perhaps using an idea of weaving to push my sample away from the simple net and perhaps into a more fabric, screen. I knotted some of my cotton, simply, and dyed it in my two dye pots to add a slash of colour, which could tie it into my own work a little more.

Overall I think I have had a very successful day in the print room and I have lots now to complete my samples and develop them even further ready for hand in.

To do from today...
·        
·       Wash out all print samples and iron.
·       Weave with plain fabric into one of the dyed nets.
·       Weave with dyed cotton into one of the Nets.
·       Couch a net sample onto one of the hessian fabrics, adding another element of texture.

·       Use the string to create a netted sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment