Monday 24 November 2014

Ba7............. Individual Tutorial

I had booked an individual tutorial for today. My aim for the tutorial was to come out with a plan for the rest of the week ready for hand in on Friday. And my goodness, I had such a good tutorial and have lots of ideas of how to start condensing ready for hand in.
We firstly went through all of my samples picking out the ones that I thought worked the best and showed the most development from my initial ideas. These would be the ones I decide to focus on in the final week. After much debating, we decided that the most successful samples were the ones that played on the traditional techniques, experimenting with a variety of materials.
So, this is the main focus of the project from now on; exploring an experimentation of traditional technique through less traditional materials. The samples which already contain these ideals are the samples which have slightly different qualities to the original jute string. Wire, ribbon and plastic are the three main areas I would like to quickly explore in this final week.
The focus will be on the wire samples, because I think they bring a whole new element to the work, exploring more sculptural forms. I think this would be further interesting in an interior context. I wish to look into the ribbon, because this was the original idea which led to the use of wire and I like the stretchy effect the tightened ribbon creates. Finally, I will briefly explore plastics, if I have the time. This builds on my work with crisp packets in the heat press which my tutor described as disgustingly intriguing. I think it would be nice to play around with that idea.
As the wire is the focus I will aim to create at least 10 more samples based on the first wire sample, each of which will explore a different element of scale, pattern and form.
From here I shall present all of these final samples completed in this weeks, including originals, onto card in the last couple of days. The format of these will be a sample, followed be some Photoshop scans which will play with colour, layering and texture, which will then be followed by an image of the context.
The context for this work is an interior setting. To bring this into my final ideas, my tutor suggested building a very quick model of a room, just displaying the basic walls and floors. This way I can photograph my samples in the space, to imitate it being in an interior space. This will allow me to play with scale and form of the sample from a context point of view.

I enjoyed this tutorial and feel that I have definitely come out of it a great deal more confident about what I need to do in the final week. This does mean doing a lot of work, but I think that it is achievable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment