Monday 3 November 2014

Ba7...... Research Report, FINALLY a plan!

Following a brief individual tutorial today on my research report, I was told that research question is too broad. I don’t know, from my view, I am not too sure how I can make it any smaller, I already have an idea of how the structure shall read. After much thinking, I have re-thought my research title, but I have also gone over what I have done so far and created that sociological research plan I have previously promised myself I would create in order to properly organise myself and my writing.


Research Area - Industry Report


Hypothesis/Research Question - Have Advances in Digital Technology Wiped Out Independant Craft Production in the East?


Aims -
  • To research recent advance of digital technology and their impact on the craft industry.
  • To explore mass production as a form of digital technology and its impact.
  • To gauge a consumer’s opinion of the place of the craft industry in the wider, global textile industry.
  • Has there been an impact, or have they been integrated to push the limits of individual design?
  • What is the importance of craft in the East?


Sources of Primary Research -


  • A questionnaire = The questionnaire is based on getting the consumer’s views, asking about their shopping habits. Aimed at consumers from all backgrounds; gender, ethnicity, social class, sexuality, with an age range of 16+. The questionnaire should give me a large amount of quantitative data in order to produce more generaliseable statistical data. From this questionnaire I shall get the consumers views


  • A content analysis = My content analysis shall be of two newspapers, a local one and a national one, exploring the advertising of the design industry, comparing how much advertising space large companies get compared to smaller craft fairs. From this content analysis I shall gain the media’s view.
  • Observations = I shall complete a set of observations in both individual stores, large global stores and craft fairs, creating an idea of the quality, skill and materials used in the types of products which are being sold. From these observations, I shall get a first hand experience and products.


Sources of Secondary Research -


  • I am to talk to ALISON PLUMRIDGE, director at Smiths Row Art Gallery, Bury St Edmunds, as for my placement I carried out research into this area of craft importance in the East, alongside her.


  • The crafts council have completed a variety of research into the importance of the craft industry and its durability. This will be a large source
    JOURNAL - making it local, What does this mean in the context of contemporary craft? By Dr Julie Brown.


  • ‘Crafts’ Magazine, written in collaboration with the crafts council.

  • General internet research information (already completed in area of production methods)

No comments:

Post a Comment