Thursday 13 November 2014

Ba7... Netting material experimentation

Wire Netting

Following my work the other day when I create a netted sample out of ribbon, I have been further inspired to think outside the box with my material usage. In order to try to take my work into a different route, I scanned the ribbon sample into the computer in black and white and was shocked at how amazing the result looked. I liked the textures you could see and moody effect the black and White have the piece. This reminded me of wire, with its rigid looking structure and defined line. I am will carry on my work with this ribbon, because I like the stretchy property of the completed net, but I have today begun using wire to create a net. 

This is a much more time consuming process than just tying two bits of string together. I had to us two set of pliers to bend and flex the wire to fit the use I wanted of it.  I total it took about 2 and a half hours to complete a small sample. I like the effect of this sample, I think it works well as a development from the ribbon, but add a number of different qualities which push my work into a more sculptural form. Is this what I want from my work??? This is something I am going to have to think carefully about while the project progresses into the last weeks. If I take on this direction, my work may go less commercial and more exhibital, more gallery artwork based. This is not the interiors I had originally aimed for, but it would be an exciting idea to explore. I have not thought of my work like this before. 

I think this more artistic creation relates to my industry report, exploring craft. Individual work in a great deal more experimentational and expressive and seems to flow in a more transitional way. This opposed to commercial design, which is build with a product or products in mind at the beginning of the design. Highs treat focuses on the trends, creating things desired by everyone, at an affordable price, but there is a niche in the market for these craft designers, who perhaps create ideas without an intended product, allowing them to be more free in their thinking, but also getting the public thinking as well. Good is design is perceived very differently to a whole primary collection available for a couple of pounds. 

If I want to carry this idea forward, I shall have to think carefully about this and how best to progress. Perhaps I do create smaller sample and show their potential as larger samples. Larger samples can be made, but they will take a lot longer. Another idea I could try is a kinda patchworking together of different nets. This is what they do on fishing boats, because the nets have to be huge, so bring together two or three nets is an easier idea than creating one big one. They use more nylon string to bind around the edges of each of the net as if to sew them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment