Tuesday 24 February 2015

Tuesday 24th February 2015

Today, my work was very much focused around the creation of my work to the exhibition which stars next Monday, as I feel most of the week will be. I am looking forward to having some real fun creating my pieces this week, but I looking forward to getting back to creating some more of my project based work and my sketchbook.


I started the creation of my dinosaur sculpture today, using chicken wire to make the basic dinosaur shape. I chose to use the dinosaur shape because, at the school I have been working at on a Friday, this is the topic they have most recently been doing, so is the focus of a good chunk of my lesson planning. I thought this would tie in well to the teaching theme, relating it to my research into the curriculum and my experience in the primary school. The focus of the exhibition for me is not to sell my work or to get recognition, but to just show everyone what I have been doing. I have been looking into a very different area of textiles and want to show everyone, especially my tutors, that my work is relevant to my degree and that I am having so much fun making and creating. For this reason, I decided that the only way forward was to create an actual piece of playful art, in conjunction with the children at my local primary school.

My work with wire in the last project really helped me in the creation of the basic shape of the dinosaur, a Diplodocus, bend to the chicken wire into shape and using spare wire to wind and attach pieces or sections together. I really like the finished wire-work, I am really please of how it looks. 

I have not been able to attach the head and tail quite yet because I need to consider a little more about how I am going to actually get it from my house to uni. If I us the train, it will need to be constructed on-site at the exhibition set up.

I think that my exhibition work is going well, I just need to reconsider how it comes together. I know what I want to do, I just need to think about the practicalities. For example, my intention was to découpage the dinosaur with images of the children working in school, but obviously for child protection issues, that can't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment