Tuesday 14 January 2014

14th January 2014 - Drawing, Rubbings


14th January 2014 - Drawing, Rubbings


As I have decided to focus this project on the experimentation of the knitting machine, I needed some sources of visual research which I could use as inspiration, so my ideas do not dry up as the project progresses. I wanted to re-visit the machine knitting mainly because of the interesting texture its manipulation creates. I decided to explore different textures in my drawing with the intention of applying them to the knitting.

I begun my exploration of textures through the drawing technique of rubbing, looking at different textures around me. To do this I used wax crayons and white paper. I immediately regretted using white paper for the rubbings as it took away from the coloured wax crayons I used to create the rubbings. To attempt to combat this, I then decided to apply a watercolour wash to the white paper. This is when I had realised that the wax crayon had not been too effective.

Perhaps I need to find different materials to create the rubbings of the textures, using different papers to begin to play around with pattern and colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment