Wednesday 15 January 2014

15th January 2014 - Drawing, rubbing with oil pastels


15th January 2014 - Drawing, rubbing with oil pastels



Whilst looking for different drawing materials to use in the rubbings of textures, I came upon oil pastels whilst experimenting materials. Oil pastels seemed to work a lot better and help to create and bolder more defined line with more colour.

Using Oil Pastels as the main drawing material for my rubbings, I decided to experiment more with the type of paper I used. From my workshop last week, where I used the folding of different papers to create textures, I found that the type and thickness of the paper can vary it properties and the way it reacts greatly. I used card, cartridge paper, tissue paper as well as stained papers which all worked well with the oil pastels, exploring textures in interiors (textured wallpaper), nature (veins of leaves), and on exterior structures (such as brick walls).


One Of the things I really enjoyed through this experimentation was my rubbings of floor and wall tiles. Although these surfaces seemed smooth, when I created rubbings of it,  there were obvious voids which created amazing shapes.

I think I need to think again about my visual research stage in this project. don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the exploration or texture, I just don't think it relates too well to the ideas I have for the project. I WILL still be exploring texture, mainly through my knitting, the digital means to create textured designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment