Friday 3 January 2014

3rd January 2014 - Pecha Kucha Presentation, Script 2

3rd January 2014 - Pecha Kucha Presentation,                                       Script 2

Research is something which I now realise as invaluable, I just wish I had have realised this earlier on in the project, as well as drawing this makes the backbone of projects. Sure pattern making and digital skills help, but the core is research both visual and textual. 
From here I looked back over the work I had created. For someone who is looking a architecture, all of the design I had created had a floral feel. I think I had been missing the structure of architecture; this was going to be my new focus of the repeat structures. I looked to architectural design for further help with this.
I decided to create a load more drawings based in situ. I don’t this in two different locations in Norwich, creating pencil and charcoal drawings of the whole building, then of details I found particularly interesting. These drawings were simple line drawings on white paper. I decided that the line quality was more important than the use of colour at this stage. I could add that in later. I wanted to start this stage with a set of drawings that I was proud to use to create repeats from. I enjoyed creating these drawings; it was a different way of doing it which made me work a lot quicker because I was in the cold. However, quality was not sacrificed.
When I was happy with the drawings, I scanned them into Photoshop and began to experiment with composition and the application of my colour scheme. Unlike the last time I done this earlier in the project, I was happy with the results. I think it was still difficult to get the balance between drawing and digital work right.
After creating the repeat structure on Photoshop, I decided to try to address the lack of drawing a little. To make sure that the repeats did not turn too generic, I chose a few of them to draw out. I then scanned these in to photoshop and repeated them. The larger repeat motif stopped the design from becoming too repetitive.
These hand drawn repeats did not look as sharp as the photoshop ones and they were hard to repeat because of the varying scale. So, sticking with the Photoshop repeats, I chose one design to experiment with for use as the final scarf pattern. I chose this design because when you are far away it looks quite structured, but up close the grainy line quality is amazing.
This is my final scarf design, using two designs combined, one more digital from before 27th and one from the new set. I think this works well the grainy line against the dead straight line. In this project I have definitely learnt a lot. There is an order for how a project develops and I think I went too far against that. Research is important which will then lead to drawing and development. This way there is a natural journey which follows the way that I as an artist work.



No comments:

Post a Comment