Wednesday 19 March 2014

Library Research

Library Research


Today i decided to focus on the ideas and research which i hope will make up the backbone of this project. I used both the Norwich millenium library and the uni library to gain a variety of different sources of research, all of which i hope will be very useful to me over the course of the project, helping me to remain focused and maintain my enthusiasm.
From the Norwich millennium library, i took out two book book based the use of nature and naturally occurring patterns as sources of inspiration. The first is the book 'Photographing pattern and design in nature', a close up guide to photographing nature in all its glory. That aside it has some amazing photos, which have made me think about scale in the way i work but also in the inspiration i use. I think it would be really interesting to begin to look a things with a magnified view to create drawings with less of a focus on shapes and more on colour and texture. The second book, 'inspiration Tricia guild' is a book based around the designer Tricia Guild with a variety of images based on her work and the wide array of inspiration for bold but amazing use of colour. As well as having beautifully coloured images, there are influential artists to research and a wealth of text, which i must read, to spark new and invigorating ideas. I hope that this book will serve as a constant reminder into the importance of visual research in all the elements of my work, pushing to look outside my textile bubble into photography, ceramics and the real world for inspiration.
As for my work in the uni library, i decided to focus on the journals, something which i hate to admit are a great wealth of knowledge that i have not accessed before. I must must must use them more in the future they are sooo useful!!!! As i was pressed for fine, i decided to limit myself to a read of two (of many!!!) the latest issues of ''textiles report" and "textiles view" two journals aimed at the trends of the forthcoming seasons. Trends are something which i only realised the importance of about a month ago whilst at première vision. At this design show the focus was on the trends set for spring/summer 2015. Something that struck me at this event was the wide variety in the trends set for the season, there must have been over 40!!!! How naive of me to think that there was one main trend for each season. The two journals explored the trends for menswear and womenswear which included beside the sea, the recollection of the landscape and fabulous florals, focusing on the key colours, shapes and fabrics for the season. I was really interested at the examples of what the top fashion houses have put on the catwalk for this season, as an extreme example of how pattern and colour can be combined. I have noted down a few if the designers whose designs i think may relate to my project, to explore and research further.
Looking through all of the different sources of research today has given me a great dealt to think about in my own project as well as many starting points for further research that i would very much like to follow up! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment