Tuesday 25 March 2014

Plaster of Paris

At the same time as beginning my drawings based on the patterns in nature, I thought about wanting to explore the shape and line of subject matter of the project. One of the main things that was discussed in relation to the last project, was my lack of contiual experimentation. For this reason, I wanted to begin this project the right way, experimenting right from the beginning.

Whilst exploring the website Pinterest for visual research, I came across the idea of rubbings and pressings of flowers. I had some plaster of paris at home, which I had been wanting to experiment with. So, I decided create pressings of flowers into the plaster of paris, pushing leaves into pieces of the plaster and leaving them to dry. This worked amazingly. The lines and shapes were replicated really well.


But, because the plaster was white, the lines and textures were not as defined as I wanted them to be, you had to look closely to see them. To combat this, I decided to paint the shapes in to help define them, The gold paint worked best because it was more liquidy and formed to the lines the best.

I would like to take this a step further, and will look into buying some clay which may be a little more of a stronger material to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment