Thursday 24 April 2014

Bleach experiments

Although I have enjoyed experimenting with the sunprinting, I think it is a little abstract and needs heavy work to develop further, something I still want to pursue, having now brought a different colour dye, but I need to experiment with other techniques I can combine.

Whilst completing some drawing for my sketchbook, I remembered back to the first year when we used bleach to draw onto paper as it changes the colour. I tried this on tissue paper and was pleased with the result. When you hold it up to the light it goes see-through.

To take this idea further, I needed to think about how to use the bleach onto to fabric. I know that certain fabrics are manipulated by bleach, learnt from cleaning around the house and the bleach turns your clothes pink. I put some bleach on a variety of fabrics to test there reactions. Many didn't do too much, but I loved the colour change on the velvet fabric swatch. I will have to try to acquire some to try out some more designs.

I liked the effect and colour changes of the bleach onto the fabric, but the bleach spread, so I could not be too accurate with the designs. Now I have experimented with this, I would like to take it further, adding in machine stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment