Tuesday 29 April 2014

Work Experience Day 1

So today was the first day of my 4 day work placement with Smiths Row art gallery in Bury St Edmunds. After doing some research I know that it is a small gallery, so I am hoping that I will get a more overviewed experience.

Whilst I enjoyed the experience today, I have to admit I found it a little boring.

After going through all of the policies and fire exits etc, I had a chance to look around their current exhibition, 'Sound Matters' which had a really eclectic mix of artwork, unlike many of the exhibitions the gallery normally has. More detailed write up to come!!

Following this, I was given my own work space in the office. Because most of the staff were stuck in London due to the tube strikes, today was a research day, which meant a bit of office work. Although I know it does not relate to my own textile practice, sitting in the office for a couple of hours did make me think that in the real world, creating designs and experimenting is not everything. Even if you are a successful art gallery you need to advertise yourself.

I think this all goes back to the idea we're all always being told about putting ourselves out there, talking at trade shows and making ourselves know on the web.

My task was to find out the phone numbers of a great list of local businesses and call them asking them if there would like Smiths Row to send them some more leaflets about the art gallery. This is because the art gallery has to show that they are there for the public's interest, but also has to prove to the council that there is a need for the gallery.

Although I did find today a little boring, it give me a great insight into the running of the art gallery and I am promised that lots of different things are in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment