Thursday 17 April 2014

Petra Boase

Petra Boase is an extremely successful textile designer whose, quirky hand-drawn style design work caught my eye whilst doing  some visual research into my project. After graduating from Manchester university in 1991, Petra Boase has gone from strength to strength and is a name well known in many a high street boutique.

Petra's work has a playful hand drawn quality which is fun and lively. through her designs, you can really see the enthusiasm that goes into her motifs to create stylised designs.

Looking at Petra's Boase's work has made me re-think my course of the project. Usually, I storm straight in, trying to create a strict repeat with lots of detail. I need to take a step back and see the bigger picture. Following my sampling sketchbook, the creation of larger scale samples outside my sketchbook will be a great opportunity for me to put this in action.

I must also think about the purpose of my work. Although I see the digital design as an important part of my work as a designer, I am liking the hand crafted feel of machine stitching. Perhaps this will be a route I end up taking focusing on more a bespoke, couture style, than a mass produce piece of design.

No comments:

Post a Comment